Pissy Can Drive Again!

I had an impossibly good weekend. One in which the mechanical wheels of good fortune seemed to just shift everything perfectly into place. Each time an obstacle seemed to arise it was as if a solution presented itself before worry had a chance to manifest. Had I much of a chance to think about it until after, I might’ve assumed it was happening to someone else. After all, when has Pissy ever had anything but shitty luck?

Before I share with you all how well the weekend went, I must tell you that the Sam-E herbal antidepressant I bought and had such high hopes for has proven to be more of a problem for me than a solution. I noticed within just a few days that it did indeed improve my mood and even relieved the constant pain I have in my lower back from my Sciactica, but I was having serious gastrointestinal side effects from it—which was so not worth it—that I discontinued use after six days. The kind that doubles you over in agony, and you don’t know whether you need to shit, spit, scream, or both. Ummm…no! Anyway, I hear it’s something that doesn’t necessarily happen but can, and in my case did, so although I still recommend trying it as it may work for some, I’m back to taking drugstore stress tabs.

I had my DMV appointment Saturday morning to take my driving test. ((Groan)) Something I looked forward to, but dreaded at the same time. I got a lousy three hours sleep the night before, as the Old Man decided to play a lil ‘slap and tickle’ in the middle of the night, and to be honest didn’t see myself faring even reasonably well. I was nervous anyway, and my ass was a draggin’. I did manage to jump in a shower though, slapped on a little face paint to hide the dark circles, crammed my fat ass (courtesy of a couple weeks of nervously eating over a gallon of ice cream) into a pair of ripped, blue jeans, and was ready when Kristy was supposed to arrive to pick me up. To my surprise she seemed as nervous as I was, and it was then I learned that at the last minute she found a light was out in her car, panicked because she knew it wouldn’t pass inspection, and had to have her Old Man meet us at the store to replace it. Kurt to the rescue! 🙂 Then to ease my nervousness—I can only assume—he insisted I take money as a gift to buy a new pair of ‘driving’ sunglasses to go with my new license. He had a helluva lot more faith than I did I could pull it off.

To be honest, I SUCKED at my driving test. I turned on the wipers and fluid squirted all over the windshield when the instructor directed me to turn on the lights for inspection. I rode with the emergency brake on for several blocks before even realizing that was why the car was dragging. My hands shook, my voice rattled when I spoke, and my response time was off. I just knew, KNEW, I was going to fail. I felt like an idiot, could feel the heat on my face from embarrassment, and kept apologizing during the whole thing. All the while thinking to myself, Good-fucking-grief…you used to drive for a living at one time, and never had so much as a speeding ticket before this damn DUI! Then something wonderful happened (I kid you not…it was a damn gift that fell right into my lap), the instructor recognized me. We both spied a Harley, she started talking about something…someone…I recognized the name as a friend, and suddenly…she recognized me. Oh yeah, Pissy was a bartender, remember? And a damn good one, I might add. Don’t think that shit don’t come in handy! She smiled; conversation instantly became easy, my driving skills improved like I was just occupying the vehicle with an old friend, and this bitch walked away with a license. YAY!!! I got out of the DMV as quickly as I could, after. Partly, because I was afraid they’d realize at the last minute that a huge mistake was made, and another reason was because I thought I was going to start bawling with relief…and well, Kristy looked like she was about to start crying with happiness for me.

The plan after was to get a bite to eat before heading back home, but great minds think alike, and mine and Kristy’s seem to be ‘scarily’ similar. Oh, ya know we were going to drink our lunch to celebrate, and did. We stopped in at my old haunt in the city, I was able to spend time with a few, old friends I hadn’t seen in at least two years, and shot some really ‘shitty’ pool. I probably had more than I should’ve, because I vaguely remember going home and falling into bed. Sunday I got to play ‘princess for a day’, the Old Man grilled steaks, and even managed to muster up some Cajun, grilled shrimp and Fettuccini Alfredo to go with it that was pretty tasty. I have no idea when the Redneck learned to cook. That must’ve completely escaped me.

Now, none of this past weekend might seem particularly ‘lucky’ to any of you, but as I said before, Pissy has absolutely NO LUCK, so I find it indeed lucky that Kristy thought to inspect her new car at the last minute and therefore was able to foresee a problem that would’ve occurred to prevent me from taking the test had she not. That we had time to spare and Kurt was available to fix it for us. That I just happened to be fortunate enough to get probably the one and only driving instructor in town that was familiar with me, the bar I used to work at, friends and the ‘biker’ lifestyle we have in common, and…and…was cooler than shit. But more important, I think, was that I’ve been lucky enough to find a friend like Kristy.

I’d honestly forgotten that there were people like her left in the world. By people I mean those that are selfless, generous, and actually don’t mind going out of their way to inconvenience themselves for another. I guess I was also surprised to realize my own reaction to it, and wonder when I began to think of myself as so unimportant I was undeserving of kindness. I say this because when I offered her gas money to pay her back for the cost of driving me an hour into the city and back, she declined, and I found myself uncomfortable and kept insisting she take it…which she never did. When she asked me where I wanted to go to have a few drinks, I found myself completely without an opinion at first, which I contribute to being chauffeured around these past four years I’ve been without a license, and having had to go where others want…with little thought to what I might enjoy. I was also shocked that she had no negative reaction to my wanting to stop in at the old haunt and see some old friends, but probably more so that she seemed to really enjoy herself once there. And trust me, that bar is considered the Island of Misfit Toys, where not just ‘anyone’ can fit in. And also because she kept insisting that she buy drinks, because it was my special day. My special day? I’m allowed to have a ‘special’ day?

I don’t know what world the rest of you are fortunate to live in, but in mine these little niceties are not every day commonplace, and when they occur I recognize them and give credit where credit is due. So this post is not so much as an update to what’s been happening in Pissy’s daily life as it is to stress how far just little acts of kindness can go to validate another’s worth. It really takes so little of ones self to make another feel important…and can go a very long way at undoing the damage made by others less considerate. I feel pretty fortunate now for just the small, handful of people in my life that make me feel better about myself, and have fewer regrets for the many I once had, now gone, who didn’t. You know what they say, if you can count all your ‘real’ friends on one hand….

Oh, and in case you missed it… “This bitch can drive!”

25 Comments on “Pissy Can Drive Again!”

My O-My! BEWARE WORLD -Pissy Kitty is making Skid Marks on a quiet road near you!

Congrats! This is big news! I’m so happy for you. And I bet Kristy was thrilled to help you out. She gets lots of ‘Friend Credits” for this one, for sure. Now you can shop at will. Cruise just to see the trees or feel the wind in your hair. Thinks are definately looking up in the Litterbox of your Life right about now. (which is much better thanlookingdown and seeing what’s burried below…turds turds and more turds)

• Knowing I can drive now makes a HUGE difference, and yes, Kristy gets lots of brownie points for this one. Now I just have to get my car plated and I’m good to go. Funny though, I can drive but haven’t wanted to. Weird, huh? I’ve gotten so used to my hovel that there’s really no where I want to go. I find this ironically hilarious!

2. Oh how wonderful! Mama Lou has the golden ticket!!
    Gosh, I am so happy for you. I know you are grinning ear to ear. Glad to see some things are looking up to say the least.
    Everything is going over here. Getting lil one ready for Pre-K and trying to start back on my weight lost. Miss ya Mama and if I could hug ya I would and even buy ya a few rounds 😛

• Thank you, sweetie!
      My goodness, she’s already that big? Time does fly when they’re young, doesn’t it? I’m so glad things are going good for you. Being happy sure does make life easier. Hugs back at ya. 🙂

• You’re welcome.
        And yes time sure does FLYYYY.
        Having a happy life is very good indeed. Happy life means a less posting life, haha! ❤ Love ya Mama Lou

3. kristy says:

Wow Lou, you make me sound like a nice person!! It may partially because I think the world of you and contrary to your beliefs your a pretty likable person and one hell of a friend to have as well:) and besides all that I had a freaking blast with you and all the hard luckers! That is just what friends do for each other. On another note….please take me up on the other offer???? My “old” car is just sitting, it runs and will get you where you want to go. I had an offer from someone to buy it a couple weeks ago and Tegan said just keep it mom you never know when someone might need it! Someone does and its at your disposal:) Call me soon……Love ya!

• Babe, I just found you in my Spam box! How the hell did you get there? I gotta check that thing more often.
      Ah, you are well worth the praise. I know you helping me out seems like ‘nothing but a thing’ to you, but trust me when I tell ya, not everyone is willing to go out on a limb and inconvenience themselves. I know. I’ve been sitting here for a long while and many have passed me by without bothering. Kudo’s to you buddy! Your help was much appreciated. 🙂
      Tegan is a sweetheart. You got a good girl there. And I’ll get back with you on the offer. Still waiting to see what I can do on my end with plating my car first. I just love ya for thinking of me though!

4. JM Randolph says:

Congratulations on getting your license, and enjoying your special day (yes, you do get a special day!).

• A little late in my reply, but “Thank You!” 🙂
      I only got a temporary piece of paper the day I left the DMV, but my real one arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. It’s official! Ha..ha..

5. Renee Mason says:

Freedom! Liberty! You so deserve this happy weekend. Good for you Lou. Wishing you many more splendiforous weekends to come.

• Well, it ain’t all ham and jam, got a bit of problems on the domestic front again (the Old Man just ain’t happy unless he’s trying to ‘steal’ my soul), but he can’t take away what I just got…and that would be my license. YaY!! Now this old girl just has to get her butt in gear, get my car plated, and start having a life again. Ahhh…a life… I remember having one of those once.
      Hope things are faring well for you in your neck of the woods. Did you take my advice?

6. Well done, that’s great news, it must have seemed like a distant pipe-dream for so long.

Kristy sounds awesome! You should see her again.

I love this happy post. 🙂

• Four years seems like forever when you’re isolated in the country. I’m beyond relief that at least this step I’ve overcome. Of course there are others that follow. I’m optimistic though.
      Kristy is awesome. I’ve been more than fortunate in my life to have Beth as long as I did, to then find Pandora Patty, and now Kristy. As far as friends go, age has taught me its not the quantity, but the quality…and my cup runneth over with it. Blogger friends as well. Some of the support I’ve received from the online community has been amazing. A big shout out to Sue (Elephant’s Child) especially. She hides in the shadows of her picturesque blog, but make no mistake she’s there at the keyboard everyday when you need her. She’s a definite force to be reckoned with when giving up feels like your only alternative. She deserves a damn medal for having to put up with me these past few months. 😉

• Elephant's Child says:

What’s this ‘hides in the shadows..’ caper Sunshine? All crap aside I have done nothing that you wouldn’t do, that you don’t do. The person who puts least value on you is you. It is past time that you made yourself number one on the priority list.

• Spying on me? Ha..ha..
          Ah…lady, I can be a trooper sometimes, but even I couldn’t counsel ‘me’ if I had to. That’s the equivalent of trying to keep someone who’s got heavy stones tied around their neck, above water. I get in my melancholy moods and am more than aware I can ‘drain’ the feel-good right out of the atmosphere. Good thing I found you, huh? Takes a pretty strong lady to keep my ass afloat.

7. Catherine! says:

good luck come to those who wait? nice work!

anyway, love your blog! /follows/
    f-a-i-r-y-l-i-g-h-t-s.blogspot.com
    ^ ^ -seedy wink-

8. Elephant's Child says:

I can’t begin to tell you how happy this made me. It is finally your turn for some of that good luck.
    Yay!! and more yay. Jud for your next trip?

• Well, I got my license, but still have to get the expired plates on my car updated. Baby steps, ya know. I’m just happy I’ve at least tackled this one, huge hurdle. It lets me know I’m moving in the right direction.. Until then though, I probably won’t be driving to see Jud without the Old Man. Not too keen on driving the old pickup that far. Not to worry though, Jud’s parole hearing is next month and he should be out late May or early June. I can’t wait to feed my baby his first, homecooked meal in over two years!

9. daisyfae says:

was a little giddy when i saw the title of this post! congratulations! let this be the beginning of a string of better luck for you!

10. Gravitas says:

Yay!
    I tried going without a vehicle for awhile once. Didn’t last long. There is a great deal of freedom wrapped up in even just having the option to get yourself somewhere.

• Hi Honey…I missed you! I know…I know…my fault because I haven’t stopped by anyone else’s blog in a very long time. I’ve just been slowly retracting my head from my ass and trying to get shit ‘put back together’ again. I hope you’ve been doing well. 🙂
      Ugh…being without transportation is miserable, isn’t it? The bad thing is I’ve had my car sitting outside in the drive for four years, but refused to drive it because I just knew the moment I did I’d get pulled over and not have the ability to get my license for an additional two years. Of course, I had no idea that it would be four damn years before it would happen, either, otherwise I might’ve taken the chance. I guess the worst part was my being stuck in the middle of the country and not being able to even catch a bus if I wanted to. Not anymore! Now all I have left to do is get my expired plates update and baby is back in the drivers seat! 🙂 That, and my oldest son getting out of the joint here in another month or so has put me in a much better frame of mine. I feel a great summer coming on…!

11. Carol says:

Yay!!!!! That’s awesome, Lou! I’m so happy for you! May there be lots of good miles and no more DUIs in your future. 🙂

• Thanks Carol! And no, no more DUI’s in this girls future. I’m sooo done with the drinking and driving. I learned the hard way that my car does not have automatic pilot like I’d once thought. Ha..ha..
      Ya know the funny thing is, now that I can drive, I don’t really have any that much of a desire to go, go, go…anywhere. I guess I just needed to know that I had the ability if I wanted to. It’s all about having the freedom to make ones own choices.
      Anyway, things are finally going my way and I’m feeling better than ever! 🙂